Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Tardy

Well, my son was tardy for the first time today.

The invitation to the kindergarten open house did not state that it was mandatory to be there from 9:30 until 10:30. I thought it was just a drop-in function. You know, come in and introduce yourselves, etc. No. We had activities.

We were 15 minutes late. I felt bad and The Boy looked a little embarrassed. I tossed out a "Well, I haven't been on time for anything really in about five years" to which the parents all laughed.

They told me we hadn't missed anything, but it was not true. We missed the part where the teacher told us which door the children should use to enter school. Fortunately I heard a parent remind her daughter, so I asked and then made sure The Boy understood.

He will be riding the bus to school, so we picked up his bus pass. And darn it all, he doesn't ride the same bus to school as he will ride home from school. WTF? Why would you do that to a five year old?

Lastly, I went to buy him a lunch ticket. He won't eat hot lunch everyday I'm sure, as he is kind of a picky eater, but I wanted to buy a month of lunches just to try to get him to expand his food choices a little. The school clerk said, "You're on free lunch, right?"

Well that took me by surprise. I mean my tattoo on my bicep was showing, but I showered and combed my hair and even put on makeup. The boy was all spit shined, too. I said, "I don't believe we qualify for free lunch."

Although, we are still making two house payments and on those days I certainly feel poor.

5 Comments:

  • At 2:52 PM, Blogger Cricket said…

    You should check out the free and reduced lunch numbers. They might be high enough to make the assumption, second mortgage aside. We did that for quite some time and, although we could, I just think of how much money we wasted!

    I thought he was half day? Why lunch? That's the reason for the second bus. That's how it was with my son's hald day K bus. Different driver, too, which is the biggest concern.

    Also, if this is the only time you feel stupid - being late or otherwise - with school, consider yourself very lucky. They're great at making you feel small, even if they don't get away with it.

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger carla said…

    ok

    Ill comment later as my jaw started to drop with the different bus thing (in KINDERGARTEN?) and then you know that chickenbus hit the floor with the free lunch remark.

    (I need to sit with that a minute. that's so freakin odd I need to try and think of another reason the clerk might have said it)

    signed,
    Carla, who now wants to do a temp face tattoo for E's Kindergarten orientation

     
  • At 8:08 AM, Blogger Alleen said…

    yeah, I'm not sure which would have angered me more... that my 5 year-old had to figure out a different bus or the free lunch remark..... It's kind of like the dumb-ass adoption and fertility-related comments. You never have a good comeback until later.

     
  • At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm speechless about the free lunch comment. Tattoos aren't the mark of the lower income. What a strange clerk.

    How is the boy going to remember the bus issue? Will his teacher remind him?

     
  • At 4:10 PM, Blogger Priscilla said…

    wow there are so many things wrong with the bus and the lunch that I don't know where to begin.

    I'm not knocking anyone who gets a free lunch, but I do wonder what prompted the clerk to ask? Do most of the kids at the school qualify for a free lunch, so it's the norm?

    And two different busses and drivers?? At least they won't be actual chickenbusses. ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home