Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Letting go

My very good friend of 20 some years here in Big City is also MFH's aunt - and my FIL's sister. She invited us to dinner last night. We had several glasses of wine and were able to discuss my in-laws overreaction to my indiscretion.

Her theory - it was not a big deal to my FIL until my MIL made it a big deal.

My FIL is not happy with his life. My MIL is turning their home into a museum with her ongoing collecting of antiques. He hates it. They don't sleep together - not even in the same room - and haven't for years because she is a fitful sleeper and he snores. TMI - they haven't had sex in years. I have no doubt they love each other, perhaps out of habit more than anything, but they are not in a healthy relationship.

Last Saturday night they went to dinner with relatives of ours. I was told that they got into a pissing match because he wants to buy a new car and she started screaming at him at the top of her lungs. They were asked to leave the restaurant.

My theory is that he then told her what I did because he wanted to take the heat off of himself and turn it on to me. It worked.

I am a grudge holder. I just am. I am angry that they turned a small moment in time into such a huge fiasco. I told MFH last night that I will let go of this and put it in the past, because it is not healthy for me to dwell on these ill feelings. I will not let a sex starved man and a prude woman rule how I live my life.

But, my son will suffer because I no longer want to spend much time with them.

His grandparents will suffer even more.

Don't misunderstand - MFH can take The Boy and visit all he wants. I have no problem with that. But he's angry as well.

My friend told me not to worry, it will blow over.

I know it will.

But I will never feel the same.

6 Comments:

  • At 2:30 PM, Blogger Cricket said…

    It is so hard having any expectations at all regarding family. You just can't.

    You don't expect perfect or perfectly normal. Just reasonable would be nice.

    I don't talk to mine, either. I'm sorry you're stuck where you are, but glad you're chilling about it.

     
  • At 2:31 PM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    I can hold a serious grudge, too. My in-laws are stick-in-the-muds as well, so I feel your pain. Lets hope your in laws realize what is happening, and if they don't, it's their loss. Really. I think it's great that you can talk about it. Talking about these things always makes me feel better. But I would hold onto it, too.

     
  • At 12:56 PM, Blogger Happy said…

    UGH!! What a situation. My in-laws take their religious beliefs very seriously, hence, they are not as liberal as others. It's not always easy, I wish you luck in letting go...

     
  • At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I totally understand. It's hard for me to let go of things -- especially when I feel judged. I think you're being totally fair and reasonable about all of it.

     
  • At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OH the in-laws.............where do I start.

    you may note i hold a grudge a while also, I stopped blogging for weeks because they made a comment, well I kinda got over it and if they do not like what I say TOUGH TACKS. (I dont want to cuss here). LOL

    So back to blogging and on with life, they are the ones who are miserable (my case and yours) so they need to deal.

    I am going to go on about my happy way......err......hee hee

    gotta catch up with your blog now, i have been out of sorts for a while now...

    jules

     
  • At 5:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ive read this entry a couple of times but havent commented as I, too, am a grudge holder.

    it takes a LOTLOTLOT to make me get my grudgeon----but when I do?

    watch out.

    C.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home