Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Conundrum

My boss is still trying to replace me. As time goes on I care less and less about this. The Boy will start kindergarten at the end of August, and when we figure out his schedule there, I can go to work outside the home if need be.

I got an email from said boss on Tuesday evening. Attached to the message was an accounting test. He has been having my prospective replacements take the test. He asked me to take it, explaining that he wanted to use my score as a benchmark for the other candidates. It seems the majority of them were scoring between 55 and 65, having anywhere from 10 to 20 years of bookkeeping experience.

He wrote that if I too scored in that range, it would make him feel better about hiring one of these people.

Keep in mind that I feel like this arrangement is working out pretty well. I am getting my job done as well as if I were in that office 150 miles away. Sure, the AA and I email or speak daily as issues arise, and she has taken on some additional workload, but so what? She is used and abused too much by the lazy salespeople to take care of the menial tasks that they don't want to do.

I took the test.

There were 45 questions varying from basic accounting to controller/CPA difficulty.

I scored 91.

5 Comments:

  • At 7:33 AM, Blogger beth said…

    uh oh.

    is there any way you could continue with your current arrangement? would you want to? from reading your post it almost seems like you wouldn't mind.

     
  • At 10:12 AM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    Nice. I suppose your boss will have to keep looking...


    BTW...smarty pants!;-)

     
  • At 10:15 AM, Blogger DD said…

    It is very hard for me to watch another person try to step into my shoes for whatever reason b/c I never feel as if they can do as good as a job as myself. That's not necessarily an ego thing. It's more paranoia.

    At some point, and I'm learning this slowly, you just have to say it's not my problem. And this is not your problem. Obviously your education and talent and ability to acquire employment isn't dependant any longer on how well he fills your fabulous shoes.

    I also appreciate your loyalty to your employer, but remember while he is looking out for himself, you need to be able to do the same.

     
  • At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    DD is a smart cookie. Ditto what she said.

     
  • At 12:08 PM, Blogger Alleen said…

    it's just more food for thought for the boss. He may cave and let you work from home yet. And if not, like DD said, if not, it's not your problem any longer.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home