Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Proceed with caution

Our doctor called last night. We are taking The Boy in for a chest xray, which we expected.

What she said next, though, surprised me.

Given his age and the origin of his birth, there is no definite way to know if the positive PPD is a result of the BCG vaccine or exposure to tuberculosis. The pediatricians she consulted with, along with the M.ontana Dept. of Health, recommended that even if the xray is clear we proceed with nine months of INH therapy.

If the xray is not clear, that is another story.

When I objected to the medication, she replied that at some point in his life this will probably come up again. If he tests positive again, which is likely to happen, he's already been treated. If he's ever exposed to tuberculosis, it will not become active.

I love this doctor, and have been seeing her for more than ten years. I trust her. This is just not what I wanted to hear.

6 Comments:

  • At 10:05 AM, Blogger Priscilla said…

    I agree w/Carla's comment yesterday...I'd love to tell you not to worry, but I don't want to minimize your concerns because I would feel them to and they are totally justified. Did your doc say anything about the Quanteferon Gold TB test? It's a blood test. Here's the link to the CDC info on it... http://www.cdc.gov/tb/pubs/tbfactsheets/QFT.htm

    Best of luck to you and your little man. You're in my thoughts!

     
  • At 11:49 AM, Blogger Michelle Smiles said…

    Ugh. That isn't what any of us wanted to hear for you guys.

     
  • At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    UGG is right.

    Not what a mommy wants to hear.

    hugs -- Julie

     
  • At 6:20 PM, Blogger Alleen said…

    another ugh.....

     
  • At 7:33 AM, Blogger DD said…

    Crap. Why do things have to get complicated?

    I can only imagine The Boy is telling you that he can handle it because he's "a big boy." That sounds just like something he would do.

     
  • At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    seriously....about the complicated part and then the PLAYING DR on top of it all.

    why cant the biggest "problem" be that he doesnt like what youre making for dinner.

    amazing how those days can look fab when youre mired in the other kind.

    Carla

     

Post a Comment

<< Home