Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Friday, May 25, 2007

Blinded

I don't clean. I feel my time is better spent playing with The Boy. For years I've had a cleaning service, even before The Boy, because cleaning is just not something I enjoy.

In the past year I lost the cleaning crew that had been with me for at least 10 years. They did a spectacular job. When the owner moved, she sold the business to one of her employees who decided using meth was a good way to work 24/7. Except she eventually crashed and ended up leaving town in the middle of the night. She didn't do such a great job and was unreliable so it was no great loss.

I cleaned the house myself for a few months until the new crew could fit me into their schedule. They are definitely surface cleaners.

So, with the house actively going on the market this weekend, we've been sprucing things up.

On Wednesday I was home with The Boy, who once again had a 24 hour bug. I swear. MFH thinks it's the preschool. I don't know if it's not quite up to par with cleanliness or if the kids are just germier this year, but whatever. I took the opportunity to do a few projects since he was sleeping most of the day. I decided to clean the window blinds.

O.M.G.

We've had all of them turned up for the winter to help keep the house warmer so I didn't know how nasty they were. Dust traps. Gross.

I told my mother I will not have blinds on the windows in my new house.

"Oh, they' re easy enough to clean," she says. "You just have to vacuum them every so often and then you'll only have to clean them a few times a year."

Therein lies the problem. It won't get done.

5 Comments:

  • At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I absolutely HATE blinds and have banished them from the house. We have curtains -- they go in the washer once a year. We also have the blackout rolling window blinds. They just have to be wiped down once in a while -- I haven't noticed that they collect dust because we roll them up and down so much.

    I hate cleaning.

     
  • At 3:28 PM, Blogger [] said…

    Uh-oh, I have curtains and blinds. On all windows. No wonder I've got allergies...

     
  • At 5:30 AM, Blogger Alleen said…

    yeah, it's bad. we have them and yep, doesn't get done. Sigh.....

     
  • At 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ugg, I just gave up cleaning to play with my Guatemalan Prince, it is freeing. I dont have a cleaning crew.

    I just close my eyes when I walk near a window in my house.

    I used to be a cleaning fool. Every single week, top to bottom I cleaned the house.

    Then the prince came into my life and playing is SO much more fun.

    Julie

     
  • At 5:30 PM, Blogger Beth said…

    I lonely have curtains.... Blinds are not so common here in Belize.... good thing. I learned about those evil things while working in the US one summer in high school. (I was a house cleaner).

    Most houses have something almost as bad. louvers glass windows. They are great because they allow the breeze in when open but still give you secruity of having your windows closes. They are nasty to clean though. There is some trivia for you

     

Post a Comment

<< Home