Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Measuring Up

Yesterday The Boy turned 4 1/2. We don't celebrate this milestone except to record his height in his room on the personalized growth chart that his oh-so-crafty grandma made for him. He is 39.5 inches tall. He has grown an inch since his birthday. He weighs about 37 pounds.

On the US growth charts he is in the 39th percentile for height and the 10th percentile for weight.

I know that it's important only that he is achieving height and weight gains. We are fortunate that our family doctor also has experience working in developing countries, and she stressed this to us when we brought him home.

I find myself silently comparing him in groups of children. Does every mother do this, I wonder? I think he's average. He wears age appropriate clothes, and they are not dragging on the ground or hanging down his rear.

The Boy starts hockey on Monday. I still find it interesting that he was drawn to hockey, a sport at which people of all statures can excel.

If attitude plays any role in this at all, he will be the tallest kid on the team.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If attitude plays any role in this at all, he will be the tallest kid on the team.
    -----
    and THATS why the boy will grow up believing he is ten feet tall.

    youre such a great mom.
    Carla

     
  • At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Americans are HUGE -- and I don't mean all the crap about obesity and fast food. It's a tall, enormous, statuesque country. Our charts are ABNORMAL. Your son is normal compared to the rest of the world.

    I was raised here, and my brothers were conceived and born here -- none of us are the size of Americans, but all of us are bigger (taller, stronger, etc) than our cousins in Colombia.

    None of us ever noticed we were smaller than all our friends until we were teenagers -- and even then it didn't come as any nasty surprise. You're absolutely correct -- attitude plays a huge role in all of this... in sports, in life.

     
  • At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gabe is only in the 10% for height and 25% for weight on the American charts (I'm guessing he's average for a Guatemalan child). I notice all the time how short he is compared to the other kids in his class. I don't notice as in it being a bad thing, just simply an observation.

    Then again, I'm only 5'1" so I'm not exactly a giant myself.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home