Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Friday, October 13, 2006

You Give Me Fever

The preschool called me at 2:30 on Tuesday. The Boy was slow to wake up from nap, which would have been the first indication there was something wrong, as he rarely naps anymore. His cheeks were flushed and he asked for ice water. He had a low grade fever and wanted mommy to come. No problem. I quickly cleared my desk and was there by 3:00.

Over the next two days we dealt with temperatures ranging from 100 to 103. I treated him for the fever and it finally broke yesterday afternoon.

I was just doing some research that said a low grade fever is the body's way of fighting off infection and that you are better not to treat it. Let the body take care of itself.

I am a huge advocate of this outlook, but The Boy was miserable. He was ingesting a ton of liquids, but he was hot and lethargic without medication.

Do you treat fever, or just let nature run it's course?

6 Comments:

  • At 12:43 PM, Blogger DD said…

    I "treat" it, but I don't overtreat. Does that make sense?

    I also understand that the fever is the body's way to fight infection and it's OK to let a low-grade fever go with just lots of fluids. But when fevers spike to 102-105, I am quick with both the Motrin and Tylenol.

     
  • At 11:47 PM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    I'm with DD. I always try the natural ways first...but I'm not going to endanger my child, you know?

     
  • At 5:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    no insights...just not looking forward to that experience yet SO THANKFUL it didnt happen in the Mala!!

    Carla

     
  • At 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I will treat it at night, just before bed only. Mostly so that he will still sleep through the night.

    Hope the boy is feeling better!

     
  • At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    my dad is a physician -- and he always did for us, his 3 kids, what DD does for hers. I hope the boy gets well soon.

     
  • At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It depends on how uncomfortable she is, but during the day, I'll usually let the fever ride as long as it's under 102. I definitely give Motrin before bed if there's any significant temperature -- sleep's the best remedy, and I don't want anything interrupting that. Plus, it just sucks to wake up at 3 a.m. all parched and burning with fever.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home