Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Status Quo

I do not deal well with change. I am in accounting. I like certainty, black and white, routine. I am not a risk taker.

MFH wants to move. To a new town.

We've only been talking about this for a few days. His reasons are valid. Recently, we were voted the #1 Dreamtown in the United States. Once upon a time we were just a small college town and I don't think anyone expected to ever be anything more than that. But it is a beautiful valley here nestled amongst the mountain ranges, and we have been discovered. Thus the traffic problems encountered here. There are just a few major routes through town and they are always under construction because, well, it's not really possible to build new routes through town. You know, the buildings would probably get in the way.

Tourist season is a real drag. Tourist season lasts all year.

The return of the college students is even worse.

Property is high. We cannot afford a bigger house, or even a small house with a little property. I love my house, but the point is we cannot better our lifestyle here. Our house is 945 square feet on the main floor and 900 in the basement.

My nephew lived here for a year while his wife was in med school. Then they moved to the Seattle area. He told me that groceries and other staples were higher here than they are in Seattle. My brother visited us from Des Moines and? Same story.

Most employers here have a line your own pockets mentality. The cost of living goes up and up, but the wages do not. MFH has not had a raise in 4.5 years. Yes, you read that correctly. MFH is miserable at work. Life is too short to be miserable for nine hours a day.

BUT

We live in a safe neighborhood. It's a great place to raise a child. We are within walking distance to every school The Boy will ever attend before college.

I just got new carpet.

I just replaced my range hood with a microwave! That matches my new stove!

In eight years our house will be paid for. As in no more mortgage.

It's beautiful here. Beautiful. It's home.

I don't know what to do.

I am a nervous wreck.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:17 PM, Blogger [] said…

    I agree with mamb; new can be really exciting (this from a person who fears change).

    I can relate to the crappy job thing. You don't want to push that for too much longer or your husband will be a pain to live with.

    Best of luck!

     
  • At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey I hear ya! I didn't think I would EVER want to move again, but here we are after 7 years here our house is on the market so we can move down the road. To a MUCH better neighborhood. One that our child can have friends in and have room to play. And we are willing (UGH!!!!!) to trade our 10 years left on a 15 year mortgage for a crappy 30 year one.
    So you have to weigh your options carefully. I know it's hard - so good luck!!

     
  • At 6:55 AM, Blogger DD said…

    You asked me the other day if our house was still for sale, and yes it is. But having a lower cost of living will never make up for the feeling that you've lost your HOME.

    We were close to moving to the Metro when Mr. DD was offered a great job there. He gave his notice; I have my notice; I found a job at the Metro; and we went house-hunting. A week before he was to start his new job, he changed his mind. Sure I was mad that I had so much stuff packed up and that I had to withdraw my notice, but I've realized this town is our HOME.

    It sounds like MFH got a bug up his youknowwhat and someone was probably painting a pretty picture of somewhere else. Let him simmer for a while and do some research on where ever he's thinking of going and maybe in that time, he will realize that things are pretty damn good where you are.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home