Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Monday, June 15, 2009

Whatcha gonna do with all that junk

The garage sale was a smashing success. I learned a long time ago not to price items according to what I paid for them or using sentimental value. People want a bargain, I don't want to haggle over price, and I certainly don't want to bring anything back into the house....so I price things to make sure they sell.

Sure it bugs me to put $2.00 on a N.ike outfit in perfect condition that I paid $40 for, and that The Boy wore for one summer (sparingly at that). But that's really my problem, not the shopper that's looking for a deal. Let me tell you, these shoppers scored big.

So did The Boy.

I knew he would not part with any of the crap in his room, so I snuck in there last week when he was in a pain/drug induced coma and helped myself to the toys he's outgrown. We priced them and boxed them up before he could see any of it. There were also boxes of his stuff in the garage that haven't been opened since the move, and we priced a lot of that as well. Fortunately, most of what he would recognize was sold before we got to the sale to help on Saturday.

I tried to keep him busy and away from his things, to no avail. He recognized a few games and puzzles that he confiscated and put back into the car. Then, I went into the house for a brief respite and when I came back out, a friend of ours had bought him a stuffed fish that had been his to begin with. He walked down the street with said friend to a Church sale and came back with this huge stuffed warthog that some random man bought for him.

We almost came back home with more things to put into his room than I took out of there which pretty much defeats the purpose of having a garage sale in the first place.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:57 PM, Blogger Away2me (Deanna) said…

    Glad you did well. I'm having one this weekend. I've never put one on before.

    I'll price things cheap.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home