Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Monday, January 07, 2008

When enough is enough

The hockey program here sucks, from The Boy's league all the way up to the junior program from which we house a player.

It is the one area in which I most regret moving to this city.

When Paul returned home from Christmas break, his parents came with him and stayed a few days. We wouldn't have known he had returned, except for the fact that when we woke up one morning his car was gone. After two days, we called the coach who in turn had Paul call us. I would blame his parents, except I'm sure he lied and told them we knew he was with them.

His mom sat with me at the game one night, and I let her have it with both barrels. After all, if my son was living away from home with another family and was not behaving, I'd want to know. We talked about everything from his wearing filthy clothes, to him showing up at curfew to eat dinner in my clean kitchen, to him having no less than 50 pounds of bottles in his room half of which are filled with the spit from chewing tobacco.

I berated the coach for not supporting the billet parents, for not making the players work or go to school in their off hours from hockey, and for not making them participate in the community and the hockey programs of the younger children.

I may have stepped over the line when I told her I don't appreciate how Paul talks to them on the phone. He is rude and he is a spoiled brat. She didn't appear alarmed at all, and blamed his dad for handing him everything on a silver platter.

Then I told her that the one reason we do this is to have a positive role model for The Boy, and I don't feel we are meeting this with Paul.

We have had four admirable young men live with us.

I have already informed the organization that if Paul returns to play next year, he isn't welcome at our home.

In fact, we may decide we are through housing players period.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:37 AM, Blogger Cricket said…

    I think it's amazing you've had four good ones, even if it was elsewhere. Good for you speaking up now. You do want the best for your own son.

     
  • At 9:39 AM, Blogger DD said…

    I actually hope you continue to open your doors to these players. You've had some great kids and this one? He was a lesson as well and that is you don't have to tolerate that crap.

     
  • At 5:37 PM, Blogger Alleen said…

    That's too bad that he has left such a bad taste in your mouth. And sad that his mom didn't seem to be fazed.

     
  • At 6:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think it's weird when a married couple blames one parent over the way a kid turned out. In a divorce situation it's different because there are more variables, but just blaming the dad?? Does she not have a voice? Does she not know how to use it? Good for you for speaking up.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home