Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Can you hear me now?

The Boy came home one day last week and told us he had his ears checked that day. Ah, yes, the hearing screening. I asked how it was, and he showed us how they had him raise his hand for whichever ear heard the sound, etc.

I said, "Did you pass?"

"Yes!" he exclaimed.

Two days later we got a letter stating he has moderate hearing loss and that we need to see a doctor because it appears to be medically related.

Yesterday we saw an ENT. There is fluid trapped in the inner ear, but it is not infected. His tonsils almost touch together - this is something I noticed long ago, and brought to our ped's attention when he gagged on food alot as a small toddler - and his adenoids are large. These two conditions make it difficult for his ears to drain.

So, not only do they want to put tubes in his ears, they also want to take out the tonsils and adenoids.

It just seems so invasive.

I want to do the tubes now, and wait to see if he grows into the tonsils and adenoids. But, I also understand the surgery would be less complicated (if there is such a thing) if we do it now as a child rather than later as a teenager or adult.

Boots is still missing. Day 6. Poor kitty. Just like when we lost Puppy Coal, The Boy has offered to be my kitty.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:26 AM, Blogger Alleen said…

    I'm sooo sorry that Boots has not turned up yet.

    As for the tonsils and stuff. Yuck. I had a lot of issues with my tonsils in Jr. High/High School and finally had them out right before starting college. It stunk and was painful. I do think it is harder the older you get.

     
  • At 6:40 PM, Blogger Cricket said…

    Kids are so optimistic. Of course, he was fine! Interesting it took so long to realize this. He manages well.

    So sorry about Boots. It causes an ache.

     
  • At 10:16 AM, Blogger carla said…

    again

    Im in love with your boy.

    please not to call authorities.

    in a truly non-icky way :)

    Carla

     

Post a Comment

<< Home