Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Monday, December 03, 2007

Ornament Exchange

My in-laws moved to their small farming community about 30 miles away from the city in 1992. At that time, my MIL was able to quit working and befriended many of the women there. They started a tradition of getting together one Saturday in December to have an ornament exchange. It began with handmade ornaments, but a few years ago they changed the rules to include store bought ornaments.

Thank heavens for that, because this year I was invited.

I was anxious to attend because my good friend was included several years ago and she said she'd never go again. She called them "a bunch of snooty old women" and said she felt that her ornament wasn't good enough and she was embarrassed.

Because of that and even though I know most of these women, I was a little apprehensive. I chose my ornament with care. Even so, I second guessed myself for the past two weeks as to whether it was good enough and kept searching for another.

The exchange was Saturday. My friend went with me even though she said she'd never go again. We had a lovely afternoon of conversation and wine. The person who got my ornament loved it.

I got napkin rings.

Even The Boy was confused by that.

7 Comments:

  • At 7:27 PM, Blogger Cricket said…

    Um, they must have come up with some new rules sometime!

     
  • At 7:34 PM, Blogger Jessie said…

    I suppose you could shove them onto the tree limbs? Montana women are interesting sometimes.

     
  • At 5:42 AM, Blogger carla said…

    oooh jessie has a great idea!

    we jews might be happy with the rings :) though we HERE at this domicile dont use napkins...

    ha
    ha

    C.

     
  • At 6:39 AM, Blogger Suz said…

    I don't get that, either.

     
  • At 9:24 AM, Blogger Alleen said…

    Um, napkin rings at an ornament exchange? Well, alrighty then.

    Cool idea though!

     
  • At 9:34 AM, Blogger Happy said…

    Who doesn't like a set of napkin rings? In our little household we just use papertowels.

     
  • At 11:32 AM, Blogger Priscilla said…

    Well, that is odd. I can't think of anythine else to say on that one!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home