Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Saturday, December 01, 2007

Drought

I have mentioned before that we live in the sticks. The boondocks. Outside the city limits.

Therefore, we do not have certain city services.

One of the big ma bell providers can get us phone service, but not high speed internet access. One of the big cable television providers doesn't provide services out this far. In fact, they are no farther out than they were 20 years ago when I left this city.

We do not have city sewer services. Instead we have a septic tank.

And, we have our water hauled. No city water. Water is a precious commodity. That equates to saying that our water is friggin' expensive.

So we conserve.

And we diligently measure the tanks to see where we sit so we don't run out.

Last Friday we were okay. We called on Saturday to have water delivered on Monday. I did laundry, ran the dishwasher, and did more laundry. On Monday I didn't see a bill where they usually put it, but that has happened before so I had MFH dip the tank.

It was almost empty. They forgot to come.

I ran out of water on my morning shower. I was not happy.

A positive side of this is that we are teaching The Boy that water is not to be wasted. One day he was at Grandma's for the day. Grandma lives in the city limits and has city services. The Boy wanted to play in the sink with some water toys. Grandma was running the water, when The Boy shut it off. He turned to her and said, "Grandma, do you have to have your water hauled here?"

Good boy.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:52 AM, Blogger carla said…

    thats such a great trait to pass on as well.

    one I have with E (Id NEVER LET HER PLAY IN THE SINK!) but that the ole hubby doesnt do (SINK AS BEBESITTER?? WOO HOO!)

    :)

     
  • At 9:46 AM, Blogger Cricket said…

    As much of a pain that is, it is also a very good practice to learn. I've read in awe of the towns in GA where water is only on 6-9pm. I try to be as green as I can, but water is one place I fail.

     
  • At 8:04 AM, Blogger DD said…

    I take it a well is out of the question (rocky and deep??). I would go nuts as I'm crazy about my landscaping and use LOTS of water.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home