Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

When it rains, it pours

On August 7, I applied for a job I'd really like to have with a project engineering firm. I just knew without a doubt that it would be a great opportunity and that if I could secure this particular job, I would very likely retire from it.

That didn't keep me from applying for other jobs, too. Like the one that conducted the impromptu interview when I dropped off my application, or the county job that was filled from within like I figured it would be. There was also the accounting job with a very reputable wrecker/auto repair/auto parts business.

Finally last week, the engineering firm called me for an interview. Yes! I was so excited, and the interview went very well. But, one committee member is on vacation this week and another is on vacation next week, so they won't be making any decisions until at least the week of the 17th.

That same day I got called back in to the impromptu company. It would be a good job, but maybe not the one I'd want to keep longterm. I am going in for another interview with them tomorrow.

And today, the auto business called for an interview, also tomorrow.

Today my boss called, and I asked him what to do if I am offered the job that I'm not sure I want. "You could tell them that you are committed to me until the end of September, our busiest month of the year, and that you'll let them know then. Or, you could simply tell them that you are interviewing companies for the right job for you, and with the other opportunities on the table you'd like some time to think about it."

I appreciated his input. I just wonder if the employers I'm visiting with would be so compliant. He assured me that if it was him, he would be willing to wait.

The thing is, if one of these employers told me "We'd like to offer the position to this other person first, but if they don't take it, we'd like to hire you! Okay?" it wouldn't sit well with me.

How can I expect anything but the same from them?

1 Comments:

  • At 2:02 PM, Blogger DD said…

    Maybe the two interviews will solve your problem for you as they may not need you to start for a couple of weeks (rare, but it could happen). Go to the interviews and then go with your guts. They are just interviews and not job offers, and there's nothing wrong with having back-up.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home