Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

"Your kid sure is sick a lot, isn't he?"

This comment was just made to me by Copper, the employee whose wife is pregnant with their first child, due in June, and has been so sick during this pregnancy that she can't bring herself to do more than sit on the sofa all day. In fact, when Copper had to work late last Friday during a promotion, his wife called to say, "What am I supposed to do for dinner?"

When I was called to pick The Boy up on Monday, I was there in 20 minutes. His teacher said, "I can't believe how quickly you get here when I call you. The other parents take two hours when I call."

TWO HOURS. Leaving their kid with all the other children, sick and waiting for mommy or daddy to come. Ridiculous.

It's been a tough winter. Last Friday there were only three kids at preschool.

I spent the last two days with a puking kid, who managed to make it to the bathroom every time he got sick, bless his heart. I was especially thankful that he made it when the red juice didn't stay down. Yes, I had to clean the bathroom from top to bottom because mommy forgot to leave the lid up, but that's better than trying to get the red out of the very light carpet.

So, yes, my kid has been sick a lot this winter. He's four years old, and has the right to be helpless and lay on the sofa all day when he's sick.

Suck it, Copper.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:51 AM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    That's one of the things that scare me about daycare. All of those darn cooties! Parents send their kids to school no matter what because they feel like they just can't afford to stay home. I don't mean just a cold, but real sickness! We rarely get sick, and I really do think one of the reasons is that little man isn't in dare care yet. Not to mention, I swear by OJ and garlic.(not together of course) I'm afraid that when he does start daycare, we will be hit with an onslaught of germs!!!
    BTW- I read the last post, and I oh-so-loved what the grandpa said. That was so sweet!!

     
  • At 12:03 PM, Blogger Jessie said…

    You and I have both commented on some parents inability to keep their sick children home. I think it's horrible. And making your baby wait for 2 hours before you pick him/her up? That's just plain mean. Teenage Boy is almost 14 and if he calls me, I still come running.

    I can't wait to hear how Copper reacts the first time his baby is sick. What an idjit.

     
  • At 12:30 PM, Blogger DD said…

    I'm the same way: I get a call, I'm gone. To think that another parent would let their kid knowingly be sick around others?

    Well that sounds like something Copper and his wife would do.

     
  • At 1:20 PM, Blogger Alleen said…

    Gee Copper, just wait. If there's a germ around, they're gonna catch it!

     
  • At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    2 HOURS that is ridiculous! I feel your pain. Matthew has had rotavirus for the last week. UGG.

    The most horrible thing is he does not understand what is happening to him (when he vomits).

    You just wait Cooper!

    Julie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home