Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Party animal

The Boy was invited to three birthday parties on Saturday. The times were such that there was no way we could attend all three. We opted out of the 2:00 party in our neighborhood and attended the 1:00 and 3:00 parties since they were preschool buddies of his.

H.annah had the party at 1:00. She is also adopted from Guatemala. A strange thing happened at her party. They were playing party games, which is something The Boy has not been exposed to yet. The game was pin the crown on the princess, with blindfolds, of course. The Boy did not offer to go first, which is out of character for him. When it was his turn, he ran down the hall. I called him back and he unwillingly participated. He was blindfolded and spun around only one time and we directed him toward the poster. He was confused and I could see the color drain from his face. I whispered to MFH to go get him before the meltdown. It was averted, but he tore the blindfold off and clung to dad's legs, peeking around at all the people in the room and crying. He was so embarrassed. I felt awful for him.

Later I told him that I had been planning to play pin the eye patch on the pirate at his birthday party. He said no. He did not want to play that game and he didn't want the game there at all. I asked what exactly freaked him out about that game.

He couldn't see.

Needless to say, we won't have any pin the eye patch game next month.

H.annah's grandparents were at her party. When The Boy was introduced to her grandpa, The Boy told him that, like H.annah, he was adopted from Guatemala.

Grandpa looked at The Boy, slowly shook his head from side to side, and said, "They certainly make beautiful babies down there."

I agree.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I suppose that would also eliminate piƱatas.

    My dad made up a game at one of my parties. He had to stand on a chair, hold a marble between our lips and try to drop the marble into a container on the floor.

    Musical chairs is ALWAYS fun.

    My mom would put a penny underneath one of the plates on the table, and that lucky person would get a goody bag.

    One year we had cupcakes. One of the cupcakes had a bean in it. The person who got the special cupcake won a goody bag.

     
  • At 4:53 PM, Blogger Jessie said…

    I can understand his fear. I would hate to not know exactly where I was, you know? Especially and 4 and in a strange environment.

    And as for the Grandpa? What a wonderful thing to say! Not stupid at all!

     
  • At 6:18 PM, Blogger DD said…

    What an utterly sweet thing for her Grandpa to say! Yes, of course it's true, but for someone to say it? Very cool.

    Did something once happen to The Boy that made him scared about not being able to see? Sure I understand a blindfold is not something one commonly plays with, but just curious..

     
  • At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh they sure do make beautiful babies down there. ahhhh, what a sweet grandpa.

    Mommy to a Guate beauty.
    Julie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home