Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Saturday, February 23, 2008

On parenting

One of my best friends became a mother long before I did. Certain things she has said about parenting over the years have stuck out in my mind.

For instance, she once said, "I pretty much live by the philosophy of whatever makes him happy" regarding her young son. I'll never forget that, because at one time I thought how I would never be that kind of mother.

But, some days? It works really well.

Not long ago, I commented to her that sometimes parenting was much more difficult than I had ever imagined. She replied, "I don't think one single part of parenting was too difficult. Every single day was worth it."

Now, I didn't mean to imply that my son was not "worth it". He means the world to me and then some.

On this morning? After being up most of the night with him, and then not being able to do even one single thing to make him happy once we just gave up and got out of bed?

This morning being a mom was just plain HARD.

5 Comments:

  • At 4:26 PM, Blogger Jessie said…

    Oh I feel you on that. Boy, do I ever feel you on that.ze

     
  • At 4:47 PM, Blogger Suz said…

    Oh yes...it can be so hard.

     
  • At 6:19 PM, Blogger Cricket said…

    Pretty bad when doing the happy thing doesn't even work. My sympathy. Hope the weekend improves.

     
  • At 8:09 PM, Blogger Michelle Smiles said…

    Some days it is really tough. And some days - whatever makes them happy is a survival technique. It isn't my philosophy on a daily basis but sometimes it gets us through the day.

     
  • At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I COULD KISS YOU FULL ON THE MOUTH

    having one of those days here.

    still sick. E is being a normal 2 year old and Im just WIPED and wanna say PLEASE QUIT WHINING JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU FREAKIN NEED!!!!

    C.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home