Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

He talks good

MFH has some cousins that are kind of backwards. One time the girl cousin said of her child, "He is starting speech soon because he just don't talk good."

At least she was getting him some help. And, I don't think she was talking about his grammar or vocabulary - just that you couldn't understand the child.

The Boy started speaking in three word sentences when he was about 18 months old. Now I am his mother and admittedly I don't know if that's good or bad - it's just one of the things that sticks out in my mind about him at that age.

But, he also uses good grammar. I'd like to think I do, too, but I am not one of those mothers that goes around correcting everything he says. So besides setting an example for him, I can't really take credit for it.

The other day he told me he wished he had a cell phone so he could call me during the day. I told him that would be very nice. Then I said, "Hey. Maybe I could buy you a car, and then you could just drive on over to see me instead."

"I can't drive!" he said.

"Sure you can. When we stop to get the mail at the end of our lane, you drive home almost every night," I replied.

He says, "Badly!"

Badly. I wondered how he knew to add the -ly.

Is that what they learn in kindergarten now?

2 Comments:

  • At 10:24 PM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    Awwww...that adverb modifying the verb! Nice!!! I'm an English tutor, so I am one of those mothers that corrects their children's speech. It is important in our house. It just is.

     
  • At 10:56 AM, Blogger Suz said…

    I'm impressed. I know adults who don't know to do that!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home