Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Friday, November 17, 2006

Window of Opportunity

I've been thinking about writing this post for quite some time. Whether or not I hit "publish post" remains to be seen.

I was in my early thirties when I started consulting with a highly reknowned OB in our area regarding IVF. He had what my husband and I fondly called a "live birth rate" in the 90th percentile. I think he chose his patients carefully to be able to tout those high numbers, but then I really can't be sure of that. It could also very well be that we are a small community, and most people went into the bigger cities to have these types of consultations. Either way, I was impressed with his statistics.

"If you want to pursue IVF we have a very small window of opportunity," he said. "I would want to do it when you are no older than 36 years."

He also told me I have a lovely uterus and there was plenty of room in there for a baby, but I think that was just sweet talk.

Isn't it funny that I can't recall why we didn't pursue IVF? I guess as the years passed, and my window of opportunity slammed shut, we made some major decisions without it having much of an impact in my memory bank.

I do know that it mattered not to either of us whether our child shared our DNA. Let's face it. We both have some mud in our gene pools that we weren't crazy about passing on to the next generation.

I'm glad we made the decision we did, because I cannot imagine my life without my son. He is the child I have been waiting my whole life to hold. From the moment I looked at the first sweet picture of his little self, my heart has belonged to him.

I expect someday he'll ask why we adopted instead of having "our own" baby.

I would hate it if he ever thought even for a fleeting moment that adoption was our last choice in our quest to become a family.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:13 AM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    Not the last choice, just the best choice.

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger beth said…

    Very well said.

     
  • At 6:44 PM, Blogger Alleen said…

    Definitely one of those things where in the end, you realize it was just as it was meant to be. We did IVF(3 times, ugh) and suffered a miscarriage. Yet there's simply no doubt in my mind that Gabriella was meant to be our child as much as any one of our flesh and blood would have been.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home