Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Suck It, Wizard

I have always hated The Wizard of Oz. Wicked witches with flying monkees? Who needs that visual.

One day several months ago, we were eating at Applebee's and sat directly next to the big poster of said production. The Boy was very curious about the movie, and in his words, "wanted to see what it is all about". I told him that some day it would be on television and we'd watch it.

It was on last night, and I should have known better. Immediately I could tell that he was kind of freaked out, so we tried to change the channel and he protested...loudly. So, we made sure we talked him through what was happening and made light of that silly old witch and played up how funny the munchkins and the cowardly lion are. After it was over we made sure he knew it was all make believe and the product of someone's (sick and twisted) imagination.

We were up off and on ALL night.

At one point he cried, "I'm not getting any sleep!"

No kidding.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:59 AM, Blogger beth said…

    ...because i am a librarian...and because i can't help it....

    some people think the Wizard of Oz is a sort of political allegory for what was going on in 1890s America. Yellow brick road = the gold standard....Oz= short for ounce--measure for gold and silver. I guess each character would represent someone. Who knows. When my brother told me that I sort of saw the story in a different light.

    Still it sorta creeps me out. When I was little I was always very concerned that Toto might get hurt. I'm with you and The Boy.

     
  • At 8:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My husband always makes fun of me because I hate that movie because its so freakin' creepy. Ick.

     
  • At 11:12 AM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    Oh...I SO love it! I am also reading WICKED right now! I can see how it might be scary for a little guy, though. Bummer.

     
  • At 8:29 AM, Blogger hotdrwife said…

    OH MAN. That movie freaked me out!! It was the flying monkey's that did it ...

    Until I was visiting my aunt in Kansas many years ago, and saw the little house they'd used in the movie during the tornado scene. I was probably 8 or 9 when I saw it - put it all into (fake) perspective.

    I'm still scared of tornadoes, though. That will never change, having been in a plenty!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home