Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Friday, November 10, 2006

Insensitive

Shortly after we brought our son home from Guatemala, he and I were out shopping at a local craft store. We ran into a woman we know, J, who's husband used to work with MFH. Our husbands still speak occasionally, and from this I knew that they were adopting through a local Christian organization. They are very religious.

This was the conversation that took place:

J: I heard you were adopting. How long has he been home?

Me: We've been home a month.

J: Oh, he's so big. How old is he?

Me: He's 11 months.

J: Wow. You didn't get him when he was a baby?

Me: He's still a baby. He's just not an infant.

By this time I'm getting angry, and what's more, hurt. I could have educated her on international adoption, but I figured what's the use? Then she said this:

"Well, we're getting a Montana baby!"

I didn't know what to say. I mean, really. Here I was, such a proud mother with this very handsome little boy in my cart, thinking I was the luckiest woman in the world, and she was making him seem inferior. How very Christian of her.

So I said, "We have a Montana baby, too. He arrived in Montana via Guatemala."

And I turned and walked away, still stinging.

Bitch.

7 Comments:

  • At 12:25 PM, Blogger erinberry said…

    The comments from people never cease to amaze me!

     
  • At 1:36 PM, Blogger DD said…

    You had a great retort. Too bad you didn't get to see the dumbfounded look on her face.

     
  • At 6:32 PM, Blogger [] said…

    Brilliant retort. Ah, the stupid things people say...

     
  • At 8:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    nice going ;> gosh some people are so insensitive. ugh but u noe that u r much better than them n all of us noe that as well.

     
  • At 3:47 AM, Blogger Alleen said…

    It is truly dumbfounding what people say. Brilliant comeback!! I can never think fast enough and end up saying nothing and letting them "get away" with it.

     
  • At 4:21 PM, Blogger hotdrwife said…

    Oh my lord.

    PEOPLE!!

     
  • At 7:39 PM, Blogger Kristin said…

    I totally dread these conversations and I have a hard time believing some of the crap that comes out of people's mouths. You handled it great in my opinion...I'll have to remember that retort in the future!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home