Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Coal



This is my other baby, Coal.

He will be 13 years old on December 3. Initially we brought him home so our other lab would have a buddy. He became my buddy, too.

MFH had to drop Coal off at the vet's today. He has an abscessed tooth. He also has a shoulder that has always given him fits, but has become worse with the change of seasons. We are hoping the doc can give him some medication to keep that shoulder working and feeling good through the winter. The tooth will likely have to be pulled.

I realize he's old for a lab. But, his eyes are clear, his mind is sharp, and there is nothing wrong with his hearing.

MFH told them no heroics. I agreed to that.

I'm not ready to say goodbye.

Update: To pull the tooth they have to put him under. He is not a good candidate for that. He will be given antibiotics instead and if the abscess returns we will revisit the situation. He is going on Rimadyl for his leg, which is what I expected. I will never be ready to say goodbye, but at least this will buy us some time.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey!

    our black lab is the same age...though he isnt as fit and strong as coal (he is going deaf...which, since he only ever listened to my husband anyway, took me a while to figure out).

    our bullmastiff has been on rimadyl for a while now for his knees (torn both acls and yes ;) we had both repaired) and it works wonders!

    Carla

     
  • At 3:40 PM, Blogger DD said…

    I would bet that the reason Coal is in such general good health for his age is b/c you treat him like a DOG, not some stuffed animal that you pamper and kennel all the time. And seeing that he has his own bird (prairie chicken or turkey?), he's obviously enjoying his life.

     
  • At 7:13 PM, Blogger [] said…

    Aw, he looks just like my dog from childhood (although much more fit - I think we gave our puppy too many table scraps)!

     
  • At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My old dog, who isn't very old for a Daschund, 9, is experiencing some old dog pains of sort. He's already had back surger, when he was five and I'm sure he isn't going to last too much lonber. But for now the Rimadyl keeps him comfortable when he has a bad day. Our move to the colder climate in Colorado will not be appreciated by him, I'm sure.

    Hope your dear lab gets better and lives a long, long life.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home