Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Neighbor Hoods

There are two houses equidistant from us, one to the southwest and one to the northeast, that worry me. Well, not the houses, but the inhabitants, worry me. NE house was uninhabited until about a month ago, and strangely enough, they are acquainted with the people in SW house.

The teenage boys wear their baseball caps to the sides and are in those baggy pants that I keep hoping will go out of style. They ride their bikes back and forth between the houses at all hours. There are teenage girls, too, that drive between the two houses at all hours. There is at least one baby. I don't want to be judgemental but these kids just don't seem "nice". They are not bathed and their clothes are not clean.

I never see any sign of adults on a regular basis.

The houses are in dire need of paint, with bare wood exposed everywhere. The shutters are broken off. The grass is brown and dead. There is junk laying around, and I can only imagine what the insides must look like. A guy I work with has a daughter the same age that was hanging around the SW house some time back, and she said there was nothing more than some pot smoking going on. Nothing more? Other friends of ours have a daughter that got mixed up with them, and she ended up in treatment for addiction to meth.

The other night The Boy and I were home alone. I heard a loud car outside and looked to see a vehicle parked on the street across from our house with the motor running (and gas still at $3.00 a gallon here!) and two girls standing outside. When MFH came home he asked me how long they had been parked there. He went outside and asked if they needed something. He had observed someone walking back and forth from the car to the NE house. When they said no, MFH told them that an hour was long enough to be parked in front of our house and they needed to move along. He watched from the back yard when they left, and they drove to the NE house.

I don't know what to think or what to do. I do know that I've always considered our neighborhood a safe place to live. Now I'm not so sure.

All of a sudden, moving doesn't seem like such a bad idea to me. We hope to be gone in the spring.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:14 AM, Blogger DD said…

    I afraid I'm always assuming the worst when it comes to that kind of activity...usually because it is.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home