Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

*Heavy Sigh*

This is the saddest day of the year for me.

School starts today in Small Town.

Last night I took a bike ride down past the elementary school near our house. There were lights on and naturally I had to look. Oh! The rooms! They were all bright and cheery and busy to welcome the children on the first day of school!

I will always miss teaching.

I hate my job now, and the reason is that I don't make a difference to anyone. I don't help anyone, I don't make anyone's life better (or worse!), I don't teach letters or numbers or values. It's not important to anyone but the owner.

Next year, The Boy will be one of those children on the first day of school.

I hope I can help him love school as much as I did; as much as I still do.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    chickenbus

    ;)

    now I am driven to go baaack in the archives and see why you switched jobs.

    Carla

     
  • At 6:18 PM, Blogger DD said…

    If you decide to move, would you look at picking up your teaching career? Why did you stop teaching?

    Prying minds want to know...

     
  • At 7:25 PM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    I tutor English and Writing at the local community college and I love it! But what I really want to be when I grow up is an elementary school teacher. I have friends that are teachers, and they try to discourage it because they say that they don't make enough money. Sometimes the necessities of life take over and you have to give up on something you truly love. Not that that is the reason why you quit...I'm just speculating...

     
  • At 7:46 AM, Blogger hotdrwife said…

    Ah, the first day of school!! It was so much fun. Seeing your friends again, new outfits, new stuff ... memories!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home