Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Saturday, April 08, 2006

I Lost a Little Piece of Me

For as long as I can remember, I've been around men and their cars. My brothers had nice cars and they spent countless hours on summer days washing and waxing them. But that was back in the days when nice cars were not Honda Accords or Toyota Camrys. Nice cars were '69 Firebirds and '68 Camaros and '67 Chevelles. Ah, those were the days. When I was in high school in the mid to late '70s, it was very popular to buy these old cars and fix them up. Or buy them already cherried out. Whatever. It was just cool to have those old cars.

In the spring of 1981 I was getting ready to graduate from college when I bought my '81 Camaro. It was the end of the second generation Camaros. They would quit assembling that body style in June. I ordered one and was lucky to get it, picking it up in March. MFH says this was a Wednesday afternoon car - not built on Monday when everyone didn't want to be back at work, and not built on Friday when everyone wanted to get started on the weekend. She was a peach. Now, my '81 Camaro is one of those "old cars". I LOVED to drive her.

I sold her today. She is still a nice car, runs well and looks nice. MFH took good care of her. I had her for 25 years - a quarter of a century. A young man bought her that will take care of her and, hopefully, appreciate her as much as I did over the years. It's silly to get all misty eyed and sentimental about selling a car. But she wasn't just any car. She was a part of me.

And today I lost a little piece of me when I watched him drive her away.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    What made you sell her???? My dad had a Charger that he LOVED. To this day, he still has a little blame in his heart towards my momma for asking him to sell it. It was cherry, too! Red, beautiful and very loud. He still has pictures of him, shirtless, standing next to her. Sorry for your loss...

     
  • At 7:17 AM, Blogger DD said…

    Good question from Not-So-Normal Mom: why sell the car? Another 12 or so years and your son could've drove her.

    I'm sure you don't need us digging at you over your car, it's just that my husband did something similar and I wonder what he will say when X turns 16 and wants his own car.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home