Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Saturday, October 09, 2010

"R"

I got a note from school asking permission to work with my son on his slight speech impediment. He says the "r" sound properly if it's at the beginning of a word or in the middle of the word, but it trails off slightly at the end of a word. It's not a huge issue, obviously, or I would have had intervention a long time ago.

I asked him how he felt about having help with this, and he said it was okay with him.

When I read further, it stated that the 30 minutes twice a week would not occur during any of the important core classes, but instead he would miss music, library, or recess.

Well I'm sorry, but those things are important to my son. I'll not have him miss the classes he enjoys.

At my meeting with the principal and his teacher on Monday, I'm going to tell them that they can send the program home and I'll work with him myself - or they can choose a time to work with him where he won't miss a class that's important to him.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:33 AM, Blogger Michelle Smiles said…

    I will never understand why educators think taking the little bit of joy kids get out of school is okay. I know their time is limited but if you have a student who doesn't love school to begin with, you don't take the 1 or 2 things that he enjoys. Duh.

    And recess?? Hello, kids that age NEED recess. They can't be expected to stay on task for 6+ hours without a break like that to blow off some steam.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home