Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Sunday, October 03, 2010

Meeting

I've spent a lot of time in the past few days conversing with my son's teacher via email.

She has said things like "The Boy is unable to concentrate" and "he does what he wants when he wants" and "The Boy is very social which makes it difficult for him and those around him to learn".

I have suggested that instead of putting 8 year old children in "pods" that perhaps it would be better if they were separated. She said she just doesn't have room. I said that when one of the teachers up and quit suddenly three days before school started that they should have replaced her so the classes wouldn't be so large. She is obviously overwhelmed.

I was able to visit at length with a dear friend of mine who is also a teacher and who knows my son well. She affirmed for me that he is very intelligent. She also reiterated to me that it is the teacher's job to see to it that my son is able to learn. She suggested, and it is probably true, that there are "holes" that need to be filled when it comes to math processes for my son. Because of his social behavior in school, he has probably missed out on vital instruction and may need additional help.

I don't want him labeled. I feel that once we go back and fill the holes, he will take off and excel.

I am scheduling a meeting tomorrow with the principal, his teacher and last year's teacher. I want, as a team, for us to come up with a solution that will help my son. I also want to see his test scores so I can determine where exactly he is in Math since his teacher can't seem to tell me.

I am then prepared to enroll him at one of the learning academies in town for some additional help.

I feel that the school system is failing my child.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:10 AM, Blogger Foxxy One said…

    These days, labeling = getting help. Good for you for being proactive and getting him the help he needs.

     
  • At 5:57 PM, Blogger Michelle Smiles said…

    Hope you get it straightened out for him. I so dread getting involved in the school system and having to fight for them to do their jobs.

     
  • At 7:24 PM, Blogger Cricket said…

    I hope your meeting went well. In the first grade, my son had a pull out one-on-one session several times a week called Reading Recovery. The reading teacher, who had insisted he didn't need help until the Principal forced her to work with him, said he had a few misconceptions that she was able to clear up, much like what you mentioned. It took him about four or five months to go from a year behind to progress to six months ahead. You're advocating and that's some strong medicine.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home