Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The rest of the story

I must have looked as if I was going to cry (and who wouldn't???) because he crawled into my lap. I was honest with him like I always am in matters such as this.

"Honey, we really have no way of knowing for sure because we didn't meet your birthmother, but your paperwork says that she just couldn't afford to take care of you. The people of Guatemala work very hard for not much money. According to the papers, she made in one whole month about what mommy makes in one hour at work. So you see, she couldn't buy diapers or formula or clothing or any of the things that a baby needs. I'm very sure she loved you and she thought she was doing the very best thing she could do for you by letting us be your parents."

There is more, but I know he couldn't process it. I don't know how we'll ever share all of it with him - but I've heard that sometimes the social workers just made up a story to appease the officials. Who knows. It's all we have.

He asked if I know her name. Then he told me he's happy he came here to be our son.

And he hasn't brought it up since.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:12 PM, Blogger Foxxy One said…

    I think you handled it beautifully. You gave him the truth, as you know it, in an age appropriate way. What more can you do?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home