Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Monday, September 06, 2010

He caught me off-guard

We have always shared our son's life beginning with him on a level that we felt he could understand at the time. There hasn't been a lot of conversation about it and honestly, he's been mostly disinterested.

Last night out of the blue I got this question.

"Mom, why didn't my birthmother keep me?"

5 Comments:

  • At 12:00 PM, Blogger Yo-yo Mama said…

    How do these 8 year olds get through their day without their brains exploding??

     
  • At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Deanna said…

    How did you answer?

    I have to say I'm dreading and looking forward to that conversation in our future. It's one of those things I want to be prepared for and hopefully answer it well enough to satisfy most of his concerns.

     
  • At 6:31 PM, Blogger Erin said…

    Whew. We're as open as K seems to want us to be, and he knows some of why his firstmom couldn't keep him, but I don't think he's processed it at all (he's only 3 1/2). Even so, most of his hardest questions do seem to come out of the blue, not when we're actually talking about his firstmom.

    How did you answer him?

     
  • At 10:35 AM, Blogger Michelle Smiles said…

    Yikes.

    I don't dread questions because I know they are coming...I dread them catching me off guard like that. Wonder if she would go along with me scheduling those conversations so I can prepare myself?

     
  • At 1:31 PM, Blogger Foxxy One said…

    I read that and felt the knife go through my heart. What did you say? I know I'll have that conversation one day. I hope I can answer Dylan appropriately.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home