Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Friday, September 04, 2009

Getting off on the wrong foot

There was an Open House at school last night.

I was surprised that less than half the parents were present.

Anyway, we entered the room and introduced ourselves to The Boy's teacher. She said things are going pretty well with The Boy, although she was worried when she went through his file before school started and read the "cards" which stated that The Boy can be a handful.

Did she really just say that? MFH and I looked at each other, and I'm sure I had those two little lines showing - you know the ones? At the top of your nose, those little vertical lines that make you look either like you're angry or confused most of the time? Those.

For the next 20 minutes I seethed and listened to her talk about her style of teaching and what her expectations are for this year. She is a veteran teacher and I like her style. She hasn't lost her passion in the classroom.

After she was finished and the other parents were gone, I approached her. "I used to teach, and I know how it works in schools," I said. "I realize the teachers talk to one another, and I know it's hard not to form preconceived notions about the children. Yes, my son can be exuberant and has a real zest for life which I love by the way, but he also has many other wonderful qualities. I do hope you'll take the time to find them."

I'm sorry, but I'm around other kids all the time. They ALL can be a handful.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:15 AM, Blogger Away2me (Deanna) said…

    That would have bothered me too.

    Really, she should have kept that bit of info to herself.

    I'm glad you spoke with her. I hope it was received well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home