Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

When the light bulb goes on

We had the opportunity to put The Boy in a high end hockey camp this week. It's run by ex-professional players from Europe and the United States. We jumped on the chance because one would usually have to travel to participate in a camp of this caliber.

Two of the coaches are staying at our house. We gave them a little heads up on The Boy - he is a talented, natural athlete - but historically he has a bit of lazy in him. He's good and because of that, he doesn't push himself. He also has a tendency to get caught up in all the grab ass games that go on around him.

For two days he has worked hard. MFH talks to the coaches and they say he is performing well. He is listening. He is working hard. These are no-nonsense kind of guys. They would tell us if it wasn't so. They aren't being paid to put up with silly crap or to blow smoke about how great our kids are.

Tonight at dinner The Boy was talking about his day. He told us two boys got in trouble and had to do push ups. One of them is his best friend.

"D was in trouble all day. He had to do push ups. I stayed away from him cause I didn't want to do push ups too!"

Okay, part of that is because he hates push ups. But honestly, I was proud of his good judgment. On the outside I was telling him what a great decision that was and how proud I am of him.

Inside my head I was screaming, "Who are you and what have you done with my son?"

2 Comments:

  • At 6:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your last line made me laugh out so suddenly it startled the dog.

     
  • At 11:54 AM, Blogger Michelle Smiles said…

    Just when you think they don't hear a word you say they go and do something like that!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home