Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Overstepping boundaries

My MIL took my son on a little roadtrip yesterday. MFH's sister and her family are moving to Alaska for two years, and they brought all their worldly possessions to Wyoming to store. The Boy got to spend the day playing with his cousin, and that was great.

We met my in-laws for dinner last night to pick up The Boy. Right at the end of dinner, he said, "Mom, what is my real name?"

I said his name, of course.

"No, I mean my name in Guatemala."

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"Grandma! What was my name in Guatemala again?"

And she smiled, repeating what they had obviously talked about earlier.

In what world was that information hers to give?

I said, "We are leaving. Your name is -----. Let's go."

As adoptive parents, it is our responsibility to share his story, and we feed him as much as we want him to absorb at any one time. There are parts of his story that our parents know that we may never want him to be told. I have been sorry for a long time that we shared a lot of it with our families, and I would take it back if I could.

I wonder to whom else she has blabbed his story?

MFH needs to address this with her.

I am so angry.

10 Comments:

  • At 3:27 PM, Blogger Michelle Smiles said…

    Wow. I don't even know if I have words. How dare she? I think it would be awhile before she would spend any time alone with my child again. Wow.

     
  • At 4:38 PM, Blogger Away2me (Deanna) said…

    Oh I would have a fit. An absolute FIT. I worry my mom will run her mouth about stuff in the future too. I think I need to have a talk with my mom and my MIL before they spends any alone time with him.

    Did your MIL understand that you were upset? Has she said anything to you guys?

     
  • At 4:54 PM, Blogger Foxxy One said…

    Wow! Just... Wow! That takes some serious balls.

     
  • At 12:08 PM, Blogger Alleen said…

    oh my goodness. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this fiasco. As you said, it's your place and your place only as mommy and daddy to decide if and when he gets that information.

     
  • At 9:10 PM, Blogger Erin said…

    I normally just lurk, but I would be so completely furious with her for sharing something like that. MFH definitely needs to address it with her, and she needs to understand that any further sharing of information will lead to her being unable to see The Boy without one of you present to monitor what she says. It is THAT unexcusable. I am so upset on your behalf.

     
  • At 10:01 PM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    Wow. I understand your anger. I would be so mad. My mom told my oldest son that his bio dad hit me when we were together. My son has no memory of this and I didn't want him to know, as I was afraid that he would be ashamed because he has his blood. I also didn't want him to think of me in that position-I'm not that girl anymore. I'm sorry that she told your son info that was not hers to tell. It is a betrayal, and it hurts.

     
  • At 7:38 AM, Blogger DD said…

    I don't think this is something to leave just to MFH. You BOTH need to sit down with them as a united front and make your disappointment known as well as what you expect from now on.

    That took some serious gall and to sit their smugly and smile? It's like she thinks she was doing The Boy a favor!

     
  • At 9:35 AM, Blogger carla said…

    yeah
    the inappropriate HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!! is all I can think to say.

    Carla

     
  • At 9:33 AM, Blogger Heather said…

    Wow! I understand your anger. I'm often angry after visiting my mother for something she may say that I find totally inappropriate. Like discussing my ex-boyfriends in front of my DH and DD.

     
  • At 4:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Before we adopted our son from Russia my husband and I attended a one day class of sorts with our homestudy agency. One of the things they cautioned us about was not sharing the entire story with the grandparents and close family. Specifically they suggested not sharing the birthname. One of their reasons for not doing this is it may/could put a foreign thought in your relatives' minds that would just be one more hurdle to overcome when they were trying to bond with your child and who needs more hurdles.

    To my suprise my husband agreed that that was good advice and he nor I have ever shared our child's birthname with our parents. They have tried numerous times to be all coy and cute about trying to find out but we've never told. That has been all for the better.

    Our son certainly knows his birthname and is happy about it but I agree wholeheartedly it is not theirs to share especially after hearing your cue that you weren't going to say that information at that time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home